July 4, 2012

I have run out of butter!

Ekk it is the State of Origin decider I am at home, it is cold outside and I feel like baking a nice warm desert! I have my flour, sugars, shredded coconut, bicarb soda the list goes on in my Tupperware containers in the pantry however when I open the butter compartment in the fridge all I find is a crusty piece of butter which must be at least 1 month old.

What is a woman to do?

Google 'dessert recipes without butter' and find many search results including one from one of her favourite sites - forums.vogue.com.au

One of the recipes I have found posted by a Voguette requires: eggs, caster sugar, vanilla essence, self raising flour, plain flour, cocoa powder, olive oil and low fat milk, yup you guess it, it's a chocolate cake recipe and I have almost every single ingredient besides self raising flour. Luckily I have a copy of the Women's Weekly book 'Ask Pamela Q&A' ($3 bargain from Victoria's Basement).

Pamela suggests to add 2 teaspoons of baking powder to 1 cup plain flour to make 1 cup of self raising flour, which is what I do.

Making the cake is quite easy, no real skill is required and little utensils are needed, it takes approx 10 min the prepare, 35 min to bake and 2 minutes to eat : )

If you are interested in making this chocolate cake without butter the recipe can be found at:

http://forums.vogue.com.au/showthread.php?t=333472 

The ingredients

Mixing the eggs and sugar

All ingredients combined


Baked chocolate cake, coconut and cocoa sprinkled on top

Piece of chocolate cake


The final verdict - Crunchy on the outside, slightly dry on the inside, perhaps it required more olive oil or milk. Overall rating 7/10.