July 15, 2012

Wildbrumby Schnapps Distillery

After a six hour drive (including a few stops on the way) I am back home from Jindabyne. Following my last post early yesterday afternoon we headed to the schnapps distillery.

Located just off the main road between Jindabyne and Thredbo is the Wildbrumby Schnapps Distillery, the distillery door has character, as you step inside the room is warm thanks to the fireplace, there is an area for taste testing, an area where you can purchase a selection of schnapps or other yummy treats and there are several tables if you wish to order a meal from the breakfast or lunch menu. Each light in the room is unique and made from a number of items, such as old light bulbs, antlers and cutlery.

Antlers light
Light bulbs light

We tried 4 different schnapps - Pear, Peach nectar, a Spicy schnapps and Butterscotch, the sample sizes were reasonable, the spicy schnapps was too spicy for my liking, my favourite was the peach nectar. We were told there were 4 more flavours that we could sample, which for some unknown reason we weren't provided.

The cafe menu has a German/Austrian influence containing schnitzel, german sausages, gulash and kassler, i wasn't hungry so I just ordered a vegetable soup. The soup was nice and hearty, the bread was fresh and crunchy on the outside. I was too full for desert however the deserts and hot chocolates my friends ordered looked great.

As we enjoyed our lunch we spotted several kangaroos bouncing in the fields, overall I enjoyed my experience, the schnapps besides the spicy one were yummy, the meals were delicious and well priced and the company was great. I would recommend visiting the Wildbrumby Schnapps Distillery.