September 15, 2012

My take on Fast Ed's Peanut butter slice

After months of pinning yummy calorie packed slices and cakes I had finally decided to make one using chocolate, peanut butter and whatever else I had in my pantry and fridge. After a quick internet search I found a peanut butter slice recipe by Fast Ed (Better Homes and Garden's) which I decided I would slightly change.

I didn't have enough butter, surprise surprise so I used what butter I had (approx 25g) and added approx 100ml of milk. Instead of making the slice in one tin I used a muffin tin to make individual slices.

The slice was fairly easy to make, I found the peanut butter mixture was hard to mix which was probably my fault as I store my peanut butter in the fridge. I decided not to spread the melted chocolate over the top of the peanut butter, as the muffin tin was already full with the chocolate base and peanut butter mixture. Instead I drizzled white and milk chocolate over the peanut butter and topped with crushed nuts.

Overall I think I did a fairly good job, the peanut butter seemed to seperate from the muffin which made it messy to eat however the chocolate base, peanut butter, crushed nuts and melted chocolate worked well together!

If you would like to make the peanut butter slice, see Fast Ed's recipe below - (http://www.fast-ed.com.au/peanut-butter-slice/)

PEANUT BUTTER SLICE


150g dark chocolate
100g unsalted butter
2 eggs
150g caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 cups smooth peanut butter
1¼ cups icing mixture
juice of ½ lemon
200g milk chocolate
¼ cup toasted peanuts, chopped

1 Preheat oven to 160°C. Combine the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until just melted. Add the eggs and sugar and beat until smooth. Sift in the cocoa and flour, then spoon into a lined 20cm square cake tin and bake fro 40 minutes, until just set. Cool in the tin.
2 Combine the peanut butter, icing mixture and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour over the cooled chocolate slice, then refrigerate for 2 hours, until set.
3 Melt the milk chocolate gently and spread over the peanut butter layer. Sprinkle with chopped peanut, refrigerate for 1 hour, then cut into bars and serve.