January 14, 2013

Cupcakes

Cupcakes! Yum who doesn't enjoy a cupcake? Cupcakes take me back to my childhood, growing up my mum was always baking my brothers and I cupcakes, her favourite cupcake must have been the butterfly cupcake as I can't count the number of times they were baked for us to enjoy.

My favourite cupcake is the traditional vanilla topped with butter cream, yesterday I made approx 35 vanilla cupcakes for a surprise baby shower. I must have been in a super creative mood as I surprised myself with various toppings I created.

If you are wanting to bake vanilla cupcakes with butter cream I recommend the below recipe by the Woman's Weekly.

Vanilla cupcake
1 cup (150g) self raising flour
90g softened butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees/160 degrees fan forced. Line eight holes of 12 muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Sift flour into small bowl, add butter, extract, sugar, eggs and milk; beat with electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium; beat until mixture is changed to a paler colour.
3. Drop 1/4 cup of mixture into cases. Bake about 20 minutes. Stand cakes 5 minutes before turning top side up onto wire rack to cool.

Butter cream icing
125g butter softened
1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
2 tbsp milk

1. Beat butter in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible; beat in sifted icing sugar and milk in two batches.

Note: The above quantities make approx 8 large cupcakes and 1 3/4 cup icing.