March 19, 2013

Mama Baba, South Yarra

Trays of pasta, shelves of spirits, a 70's movie projected against the wall, you have entered George Colambaris South Yarra restaurant.

On arrival we were warmly greeted and seated against a wall displaying what looked like old records George grew up listening to including one we spotted by the 70's Greek sex god Demis Roussos.

Diners are given the option to order a $55 set menu or from the a la carte menu.
From the menu we ordered arancini balls, quail with a cous cous salad, chopped green salad, duck ravioli and a slow cooked lamb shoulder.

The food exceeded our expectations, every bite was fantastic. The portion sizes were more than adequate, in particular the lamb accompanied by a side of potatoes was generous.

The desert and cocktail menu was playful, in keeping up with my blog name I was planning on ordering the pink lemonade cocktail however after a day of eating ( buffet breakfast and high tea) I couldn't fit anything else in my stomach.

Next time I am in Melbourne I will be sure to return. If you are in the area I recommend you check it out!