April 1, 2013

My herb garden

My latest pride and joy is my herb garden.  I love watching my herbs grow and enjoy the  freshness and flavours they add to my meals. Starting a herb garden is fairly inexpensive, isn't time consuming nor requires much room.

L to R: Dwarf lemon tree, Aloe vera, Sage, Parsley, Mint, Chives, Oregano, Chilli

 I prefer to contain my herbs in pots, if you wish to plant them straight into the ground make sure you have plenty of room for them to grow, approximately six months ago I planted basil which was happily thriving in a pot plant into the ground, the basil positioned in a sunny spot has quadrupled in size!

I also recommend using a good soil, placing them in a spot which receives a fair amount of sunlight and watering them every couple of days especially in summer. Adding plant food such as Thrive to the watering can will ensure your herbs thrive (mind the pun)!

If you have any tips please feel free to comment.