November 11, 2014

Garlic, chive and truffle infused butter - Thermomix



This morning I finally got around to making butter in the Thermomix.

As I learnt in the class I attended a couple weeks ago the closer to the expiry date the cream is the faster it will separate, so yesterday whilst doing my grocery shop I picked up a bottle due to expire today.

Not following the recipe to a tee, I only used 300ml of cream which wasn't a problem given cream and water is all that is required to make a basic butter.

Ingredients I used

To seperate the solids and liquid I had to whisk the cream closer to the three minute mark. I could have washed the butter a second time to keep it fresh for a longer period but as I intended to freeze it I didn't think it was neccessary.

Draining liquid from solids

To flavour the butter I used 20g Truffle infused olive oil, one garlic clove, a small bunch of chives which I should have chopped (opps my bad, see the long strands) and a pinch of iodised sea salt.

Butter

I than popped the butter into an ice cube tray to freeze and use later. What didn't fit in the ice cube tray is now sitting in a little dish and will be stored in the fridge until used.



Ingredients:

300 grams thickened cream
250 grams chilled water
20 grams truffle infused oil
1 garlic clove
1 small bunch of finely chopped chives
1 pinch iodised salt

Steps:

1. Using the butterfly whisk pour cream into the bowl and set on speed 4 for around 2.5 minutes. This time may vary depending on the cream, you should see solids and liquid in the bowl.
2. Using the simmer basket drain liquid from the solids.
3. Place solids back into the bowl, add 250g of cold water and set the Thermomix back on speed 4 for 10 seconds. Again the solids and liquid will separate.
4. Strain the liquid. Step 3 and 4 can be repeated to remove any further liquid.
5. Placing the solids back into the bowl, add the garlic, small bunch of chives (make sure they have been finely sliced) a pinch of sea salt and truffle infused oil. Set Thermomix on speed 4  for 10 seconds.
6. Butter is now ready to use or store for later use.