January 15, 2015

The Tea Room, Sydney



After months of uttering the words 'we have to go to high tea' too many times to count a group of friends and I finally bit the bullet agreed on a date and made a reservation at The Tea Room.
Located in what was the original grand ballroom of the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney's CBD it's hard not to feel a little fancy as you sip a cup of tea and nibble on a scone with jam and clotted cream in this grand room now know as The Tea Room.


Arriving on time on a rainy Sunday afternoon I was pleased to see my friends already seated. After a look at the menu which includes morning tea, afternoon tea and an oriental tea we all decided on the sparkling afternoon tea.

Priced at $50 the sparkling afternoon tea includes finger sandwiches, sweet and savory pastries, scones with jam and clotted cream, petit fours, tea or coffee and a glass of sparkling wine.

Distracted by general chitter chatter as we caught up we took our time to select our teas. Being a lover of tea served black I settled on the vanilla tea. With a hint of vanilla it was slightly sweet which perfectly accompanied the scones.


After a short wait our afternoon tea arrived. Arriving on three tiers and a single plate we quickly dug into the sandwiches and savory pastries.


The sandwiches were filled with smoked salmon and prawns, given not everybody likes seafood I was surprised by these choices, nonetheless I ate more than my share.

On the same tier sat a tart with a detached lid. With a deliciously creamy filling the tart was one of my favourites of the day.

The scones some containing sultanas were perfectly sized, leaving just enough room for the petit fours.


Spread over two tiers the petit fours were made up of a fruit tart, chocolate mousse slice, lime macaroon and mango topped slice. The clear winner by all was the macaroon, crisp and refreshing it was a shame we didn't leave it to last, unfortunately the same could not be said about the mango topped slice as it sat on our plates barely touched.

With a little time left before our two hour window ended and too full to move we remained seated. By this stage I was regretting wearing my cute Alannah Hill bowed belt already on it's last notch. Contemplating taking it off, I quickly reminded myself where I was and left it on as I tried  adjusting it the best I could.

Have you ever had a moment like this? Was it at high tea, I would love to hear your experience!

Till next time...


Fizzy-pink-lemonade xo