February 23, 2015

Butter and sage gnudi






Gnudi - pronunced nu-dee, derived from the Italian word nude.

Over the weekend I experienced my first gnudi. Best described as a mix between a gnocchi without the potato or flour and a ravioli without it's shell, this Tuscan dish is sure to impress your guests.

Following a butter and sage gnudi recipe from my Jamie's Comfort Food cook book I mixed ricotta, parmesan cheese, a handful of finely chopped baby spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl. Rolling a teaspoon of mixture at a time into a ball on a tray of semolina I ended up with forty gnudi balls.

As the gnudi was to be served for entree the next night the suggested overnight refridgeration time to allow the semolina to dry the ricotta was perfect, I wouldn't need to do anything else till just before serving.

Fast forward to the next evening, fifteen minutes before entree was to be served I worked quickly crisping and removing twenty sage leaves in a pan of  melted butter, brought a pot of salted water to the boil adding small batches of gnudi for three minutes before placing in the pan of melted butter and cooking for a further three minutes.

To serve I placed five gnudi in a bowl, drizzled a small amount of the butter sauce, added a few drops of lemon juice and topped with parmesan and crispy sage leaves.

So was it a dish worth talking about, you bet it was everyone seemed impressed! Mr FPL gave it a MKR 9 out of 10!

  • The recipe can be found in Jamie's Comfort Food, cook book. I used a little less ricotta and parmesan cheese than recommended and add some chopped baby spinach to add a little colour to the dish.