May 1, 2015

Bourke St Bakery, Parramatta - Pork and Fennel sausage roll








  • Pork and fennel sausage roll $4.50, number 17 on the top 100 Sydney dishes to die for list (The Sunday Telegraph Dec 14).
Parramatta certainly is stepping up it's game, with the addition of Bourke Street Bakery and Jamie's Kitchen not too far away from completion, I'm sure I'm not the only foodie out there cheering.

Stopping in at Bourke St Bakery twice in one day, first for my morning coffee on the way to work and later for lunch I had to try the pork and fennel sausage roll which made number 17 on the top 100 Sydney dishes to die for list.

Rustic looking the sausage roll was served immediately on a tin plate. To my surprise next to the cutlery and napkins sat a large bottle of self serve sauce, no extra 50 cents here!

Finding an empty table I sat and snapped some pics of my sausage roll with sauce and bottle of old school lemonade which tasted similar to the lemon cordial I drank as a child (we weren't allowed the red or green stuff).

Warmer than expected the quantity and quality of the filling was a step up from the average sausage roll.  The pork was tasty and the fennel seeds along with small chunks of carrot was evident. Despite wearing some of the pastry it wasn't overly flaky nor oily.

Overall for $4.50 including as much sauce as you want it was a good sausage roll.

Bourke St Bakery
Corner Church and Darcy Street
Parramatta NSW